Monday, June 28, 2010

Spoonbill or Paddle Fish the Prehistoric Fish







This first fish was longer than our pick-up truck bed is wide! Every year on March 15th. my husband and his fishing buddies go Spoonbill snagging down at the lake. These fish get a lot bigger than this one. The second one was a little bit smaller!!
The one that he caught last Monday was only 24 inches long and too small to keep. They have to be at least 32 inches long to be legal to keep.


Chris DeBaggis on March 22, 2010 at 10:44pm Delete Comment This was very educational -- thank you!

Deanie "CharlesAngel" on March 20, 2010 at 11:45pm Delete Comment They are good to eat if they are dressed properly. There is a lot of dark meat that has to be trimed away as it taste bitter or strong. You eat only the white part. There are no bones in the fish only a spine. As for that bill, they use it to bat or swat other fish. It does not get in the way of their eating. The way we like to eat SpoonBill is we cut the fish in small thin strips and after we bread it we deep fry it until golden brown. It is good! We have had them for so many years that I am tired of eating them. I am really not much of a fish eater anyway!! But my family is.

Comment by Beverly on March 20, 2010 at 10:49pm Delete Comment Did you eat him? How did he taste?

DLynne on March 20, 2010 at 9:58pm Delete Comment Very interesting! I bet they had fun. I've never done any snagging myself but I've been there when hubby did. It was exciting just watching him and the others. Hubby hasn't snagged for spoonbills that I'm aware of, just Kokanee salmon in Colorado. We've watched others illegally snagging blue cats and other fish below the Lock and Dam on the Red River in LA, but didn't participate in that. I do enjoy fishing. Thanks for sharing! Are they good to eat? I've never had spoonbill.

Comment by Deanie "CharlesAngel" on March 19, 2010 at 11:24pm Delete Comment Their mouth is pretty big, so I guess they just open it wide and swallows smaller fish and other water creatures.
Thank you Chris!

by Chris DeBaggis on March 19, 2010 at 11:09pm Delete Comment How do they eat? That nose gets in the way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment